- 3 ounces of meat or poultry is about the size of a deck of cards, a computer mouse, a bar of soap or the palm of your hand without your fingers.
- 1 cup of fruits, vegetables, rice or pasta is close to a baseball or a loose fist.
- 1/4 cup of nuts is similar to a golf ball.
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter is like looking at your whole thumb, whereas 1 teaspoon of butter or salad dressing is only the top of your thumb from the knuckle.
- 1 ounce of cheese is about the size of two dice or similar to the size of the individually wrapped slice squares.
- 1 ounce meat is about the size of a matchbox.
- 1/2 cup vegetables, fruit or starch is about the size of a tennis ball.
Or . . .
Use a measuring cup or a food scale and practice measuring some of your favorite foods onto your plate or bowl, so that you can see how much a ½ cup or 3 ounce serving is. This will help you “eyeball” a serving. This will help prevent portion distortion.